- PLEASE sign up for ClassDojo, either on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. ClassDojo is how I will send weekly updates and announcements throughout the week. I sent home another signup sheet today for those of you not yet signed up.
- The class fee is $85. Please remit payment as soon as you can. This allows us to order class texts, supplies, and pay for online programs. You can even pay online! Here is the link: https://www.epayillinois.com/Home/ShowSiteLandingPage/30176
- Please go through and fill out all necessary forms in the ‘Welcome Back’ packet that were sent home on the first day of school.
- Open House is this Thursday, September 13 from 4:30-5:30 pm. Please join me to learn more of what your child will do during fifth grade, as well as meet the other teachers!
- Don’t forget the join the PTA! Ray’s PTA is a vital part of our school culture. Please support it if you can.
Here is an overview of what we will be doing this week in our CORE SUBJECTS:
Reader’s Workshop–This week, students will be working on independent reading and writing in Reader’s Workshop. Students will compose a practice Reader’s Letter this week. Please see the Rubrics tab for a Reader’s Response rubric so you may see how I will assess future letters. Students will be introduced to the 5th grade Daily 5 activities: Read To Self, Listen To Reading, Word Work, Guided Reading, and Reader’s Response.
Writer’s Workshop-This week, students will compose their first informational piece, a poem titled “I’m From”. Students will capture things that tell a story about who they are in a graphic organizer and then transfer them onto paper. Students will revise work to add further detail. Finally, students will use Google Slides to publish their poems.
Math-In Math, students will find areas of rectangles with fractional side-lengths. Students will work on solving real-world area problems by exploring the area of a quilt.
Homework Chart for the week:
|Math||Home Link 1-2||Home Link 1-3||Home Link 1-4|
|Reading||Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log.||Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log.||Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log||Reading Log is due MONDAY.|