- Welcome to Fifth grade, parents and students. Here you will find answers to many questions you have weekly.
- Listed below is a homework chart so that you may keep a record of nightly homework assignments. I create homework charts weekly.
- You will receive a parent packet this week. Please complete the forms inside and return to me as soon as you can.
- PLEASE sign up for ClassDojo, either on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. ClassDojo is how I will communicate with you throughout the week.
- The class fee is $85. Please remit payment as soon as you can. This allows us to order class texts, supplies, and pay for online programs. You can even pay online! Here is the link: https://www.epayillinois.com/Home/ShowSiteLandingPage/30176
- Don’t forget the join the PTA! Ray’s PTA is a vital part of our school culture. Please support it if you can.
- Extra supplies that would be incredibly helpful for the class room throughout the year are: Paper towel, Ziplock Bags, Kleenex, Post-It notes, Band-aids, and Hand Sanitizer.
Here is an overview of what we will be doing this week in our CORE SUBJECTS:
WE will take the BOY NWEA Map tsts in Reading and Math on Thursday and Friday this week.
Reader’s Workshop–This week, students will be working on independent reading and writing in Reader’s Workshop. Students will compose a practice Reader’s Letter this week. Please see the Rubrics tab for a Reader’s Response rubric so you may see how I will assess future letters. Students will be introduced to the 5th grade Daily 5 activities: Read To Self, Listen To Reading, Word Work, Guided Reading, and Reader’s Response.
Writer’s Workshop-This week, students will work on collecting Writing Topics in a variety of ways. We will discuss the procedures throughout the week for Writer’s Workshop. Students will be given a Writer’s notebook rubric to keep in their notebooks. Writer’s notebooks will be graded periodically throughout the quarter. Finally, students will compose one piece of writing:
- Letter of Introduction (informational writing)
HOMEWORK: All writers need a devoted Writer’s Journal for Writer’s Workshop. Students should decorate the front and back cover in an inspirational way to motivate their writing throughout the year.
Math-In Math, students will be introduced to the 5th Grade Everyday math Curriculum. Students will take a Beginning of The Year Assessment to assess what they know already as mathematicians. BOY assessment is due on Friday.
Homework Chart for the week:
|Math||Complete BOY Assessment||Complete BOY Assessment||BOY Assessment due today.|
|Writing||Decorate the front and back cover of your Writer’s notebook||Decorate the front and back cover of your Writer’s notebook||Decorate the front and back cover of your Writer’s notebook||Decorated Writer’s notebooks due today.|
|Reading||Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log. Complete Reading Inventory.||Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log
Complete Reading Inventory
|Read for a minimum of 30-45 minutes Record on Reading Log
Complete Reading Inventory
|Reading Log and Inventory is due MONDAY.|