- Welcome to Fifth grade, parents and students. Here you will find answers to many questions you have weekly.
- Listed below is a homework chart so that you may keep a record of nightly homework assignments. I create homework charts weekly.
- You should have received a parent packet last week. Please complete the forms inside and return to me as soon as you can.
- PLEASE sign up for ClassDojo, either on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. ClassDojo is how I will send weekly updates and announcements throughout the week.
- The class fee is $85. Please remit payment as soon as you can. This allows us to order class texts, supplies, and pay for online programs. You can even pay online!
- Lunch Forms were sent home Monday. If you have sent your form back thank you very much. Please complete and return the form, regardless of whether your child will receive lunch or not. It helps provide state funding for our school. Thank you.
- Don’t forget the join the PTA! Ray’s PTA is a vital part of our school culture. Please support it if you can.
- Extra supplies that would be incredibly helpful for the class room throughout the year are: Paper towel, Ziplock Bags, Kleenex, Band-aids, and Hand Sanitizer.
Here is an overview of what we will be doing this week in our CORE SUBJECTS:
Reader’s Workshop–This week, students will be working on independent reading and writing in Reader’s Workshop. Students will compose a practice Reader’s Letter this week. Please see the Rubrics tab for a Reader’s Response rubric so you may see how I will assess future letters. Students will also work on 3 of the Daily 5 activities: Read To Self, Listen To Reading, and Word Work. Word Work will expand students’ vocabularies in an authentic way by having them seek out 5 words/week, define the word, find synonyms, and use it in a sentence.
Writer’s Workshop-This week, students will work on collecting Writing Topics in a variety of ways. We will discuss the procedures throughout the week for Writer’s Workshop. Students will be given a Writer’s notebook rubric to keep in their notebooks. Writer’s notebooks will be grades every five weeks. Finally, students will compose two pieces of writing:
- Letter of Introduction (informational writing)
- “I’m From” poem (narrative writing)
Math-In Math, students will find areas of rectangles with fractional side-lengths. Students will work on solving real-world area problems by exploring the area of a quilt.
Homework Chart for the week:
|Math||Home Link 1.2||Home Link 1.3|
|Reading||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Record on Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Record on Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Record on Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Record on Reading Log||Reading Log is due today.|