- Ray School’s Open House is this Thursday, September 22 from 5-6. Please attend if you can to find out more about the school year in Room 314.
- The Class Fee is $85 and it is due ASAP. I know this seems like a lot of money, but it is used to pay for things like consumable textbooks and office/art supplies for the classroom. We are willing to work out a payment plan if you wish. Please contact the office for more information. If you have submitted payment already, thanks a bunch.
- Lunch Forms are due now!. If you have sent your form back thank you very much. Please complete and return the form, regardless of whether your child will receive lunch or not. It helps provide state funding for our school. Thank you.
- Don’t forget the join the PTA! Ray’s PTA is a vital part of our school culture. Please support it if you can. Our first PTA meeting is after the Open House at 6 pm.
- Extra supplies that would be incredibly helpful for the class room throughout the year are: Paper towel, Ziplock Bags, Kleenex, Band-aids, and Hand Sanitizer. Also, it would be a great idea to outfit your child with a small bottle of hand sanitizer to keep at his/her desk. Thank you!
Here is an overview of what we will be doing this week in our CORE SUBJECTS:
This week, students will be working on independent reading and writing in Reader’s Workshop. Students will compose a practice Reader’s Letter this week. Please see the Rubrics tab for a Reader’s Response rubric so you may see how I will assess future letters.
Students will also work on 4 of the Daily 5 activities: Read To Self, Work On Writing, Listen To Reading, and Word Work. Students will also be introduced to the first Class novel of the year, Wonder.
This week, students will begin prewriting exercises for the first essay: Personal Narrative. Students will construct a timeline of major events in their lives. The Timeline project will be assessed as a Pre-Writing activity using a Rubric. Then, they will select one of their timeline events to construct a rough draft for the Personal Narrative essay. Students will work through the writing process this week and next to develop, revise, and publish a personal essay.
In Math, students will focus on concepts of volume. Students will explore many differnet ways to find the volume of rectangular prisms. Lessons 1.6-1.9 will be covered. There will be a Checking Progress quiz on Friday.
This week, students will continue the unit, Measuring Time. Students will create sunclocks and calendars to measure time. Students will be graded on participation in class, as well as their investigations in their notebooks. Science notebooks are graded using a rubric. A copy of the rubric can be found under the Rubrics tab.
Homework Chart for the week:
|Math||Home Link 1.6||Home Link 1.7||Home Link 1.8||home Link 1.9|
|Writing||Wonder: Comprehension questions.||Timelines are due.|
|Social Studies/ Science||Early People Worksheet|
|Reading||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Tic Tac Toe board|| Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Tic Tac Toe board
WONDER: Answer Comprehension questions.
|Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Tic Tac Toe board||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Tic Tac Toe board||Tic Tac Toe board is due today.|