Details and dates are below. What a great opportunity for students. Please click on the link after the description of the program to register.
FREE opportunity for talented people to engage with professional artists and UofC mentors!Here are some project logistics and details:
- “Ode to the City” is a grassroots project that targets communities with stories to tell and art to create by providing neighborhood members with free resources and platform to tell those stories.
- ALL people are welcome, regardless of experience, background, identity, age, etc.
- Mixed media workshops make up an 8-week program in a variety of places with a wide-range of artistic mediums: visual arts, poetry, radio, performance art, and more. Students will be exposed to professional artists from different backgrounds, artistic mediums, and communities. For example, Jamila Woods!
- Participants will have the opportunity to work within these spaces, with free supplies, teachers, mentors, the ability to connect with their community, and an opportunity to exhibit their work.
- The intensive visual arts track will be held weekly and is geared toward participants with great interest and any experience in visual arts.
- Workshops will tackle specific themes (e.g., race/ethnicity, faith, spirituality, gender, sexuality, and more)
- Our community partners include: Young Chicago Authors, The Rebuild Foundation, The Poetry Foundation, StoryArts, Bing Bookstore, the UChicago Arts Incubator, and Living Hope Church.Project schedule:
- Mixed Media Workshops (Dorchester Art + Housing Collaborative, Greater Grand Crossing; Saturdays, 1-3 pm):July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30August 6, 13, 20, 27
- Mixed Media Workshops (Bing Art Books, Washington Park; Tuesdays, 6-8 pm)July 5, 12, 19, 26,August 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Mixed Media Workshops (Living Hope Church, Woodlawn; Wednesdays, 2-3 pm)July 6, 13, 20, 27August 3
- Visual Arts Intensive Track (Arts Incubator, Washington Park; Mondays, 6-8 pm)July 11, 25August 8, 22Register at:Here is the program registration form (if people could register asap, that would be great!): http://goo.gl/forms/Nx2CJs0zRHJwNNny2