- 5th grade classes will switch this week. Students in my room will work on an Ecology project about Biomes. The students will be researching biomes that exist around the world and presenting their findings to the class.
- October 2: 5th Grade is attending their first field trip this week as part of the Chicago Environmental Stewards partnership with the Lincoln Park Zoo. We will leave school at 9:15 am and return by 2 pm. I am still looking for one parent to chaperone this event. Please email e if you are interested.
- October 8 is the Ray School Open House. It will take place from 4:30-6:00 pm. I hope you can make it out to see the classroom and learn more about 5th grade.
- Don’t forget the join the PTA! Ray’s PTA is a vital part of our school culture. Please support it if you can. Ray’s first PTA meeting is September 24 at 6 pm.
- Extra supplies that would be incredibly helpful for the class room throughout the year are: Paper towel, Ziplock Bags, Kleenex, Band-aids, and Hand Sanitizer. Also, it would be a great idea to outfit your child with a small bottle of hand sanitizer to keep at his/her desk. Thank you!
Here is an overview of what we will be doing this week in our CORE SUBJECTS:
This week, students will begin the real work on the Daily Five. Daily Five is a reading program that enables students to work on daily Reading tasks independently. Students will use their IR books to guide them through Daily Five weekly. Please make sure your child is reading nightly from one book and bringing that book to and from school as if it were a textbook. This is an important component of Daily Five.
I will have my first meetings with Guided Reading groups this week. The purpose of Guided reading is to provide support in reading texts that are more complex. This allows students to explore comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency in a supported structure. The first groups have been determined based on first interviews with students, MAP testing results, and overall observation of need.
This week, students will complete prewriting exercises for the first essay: Personal Narrative. Then, they will select one of the timeline events to construct a rough draft for the Personal Narrative essay. Students will work through the writing process this week and next to develop, revise, and publish a personal essay.
In Math, students will continue to explore concepts of volume this week. Lessons 1.9-1.12 will be covered. There will be a checking progress quiz on Friday.
Science (room 314)
This week, Room 314 will be introduced to the project-based work we will do throughout the year in my science room. The theme for the year is Ecology, and students will explore aspects of this theme beginning with a world-wide scope and eventually narrowing down to explore the ecology in their own backyards. The first project will be: Survivor Biomes. Small groups will “crash” land in different biomes around the world. They will research how they will survive in the biome, what foods they will eat, how they will get fresh water, what type of shelter they will create, to name a few. Students will present their projects at the end of the week.
Homework Chart for the week:
|Math||Study Link 1.9||Study Link 1.10||Study Link 1.11||Study Link 1.12||Study for Unit 1 test|
|Writing||Work on Narrative Draft||Work on Narrative Draft||Work on Narrative Draft|
|Social Studies||Study Vocabulary for quiz|
|Reading||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 30 minutes Complete Reading Log||Reading Log is due Monday.|