- This Wednesday is our Winter performance. The students will be singing “Let It Snow” to the tune of “Let It Go”
- Check out our classroom blog! Click the link at http://kidblog.org/agkrecik/
- 5th grade classes will switch this week. I will teach science to room 315 this week.
- Please consider donating incentive prizes to the school store. We would like our students to look forward to weekly opportunities to cash in their Warrior bucks, and have a stocked store guarantees this excitement. Oriental Trading Company has so many great prizes at low, low prices. Please consider making a purchase donation for our school store today. Every little bit counts. The website is: www.orientaltrading,com.
Here is an overview of what we will be doing this week in our CORE SUBJECTS:
Reader’s Workshop– Students should be reading 35+ minutes nightly to assure they will meet their AR goal this quarter!
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.5.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
This week, students will continue work in Guided Reading groups. Students will work in small groups to read a novel and work on comprehension skills that are deficient. Students who are not meeting for Guided Reading will be working on Daily 5 activities: Read T0 Self, Work On Writing (Reader’s Letter), Listen To Reading, and Word Work. Students may bring their own headphones, with parental permission to listen to reading online. READERS’ LETTERS MUST BE COMPLETED IN CLASS— this is not homework.
Shared Reading in ThinkCerca: Students will read and article about Video Games. Then they will develop a claim and respond to the article, composing an argument writing piece using evidence from the text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience. (Grade-specific expectations for writing types are defined in standards 1–3 above.)
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.5 With guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
This week, students will begin pre-writing and graphic organizers for their next expository essay.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.G.B.3 Understand that attributes belonging to a category of two-dimensional figures also belong to all subcategories of that category
This week students will continue Unit 5, Fractions, Decimals, and Percents. Sudents will work on converting Fractions to decimals using a variety of strategies. they will also review rounding decimals, and they will practice finding decimals from fractions using calculators. Lessons 5.5-5.8 will be covered.
This week in Social Studies, students will begin Chapter 4, The Colonies. Students will read Lesson 1, Spanish colonies, and answer Lesson 1review questions in class. Students will complete a Lesson 1 worksheet for homework on Wednesday.
Science (room 315)
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 4–5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
This week, Room 315 students will begin the next Science unit: Microworlds. Students will focus on drawing with detail, and making scientific observations on the proerties of objects. Students will use a magnifier to observe details.
Investigation D: Observing A Penny
InvestigationE: Writing Scientific Observations
I expect students to have a composition notebook for science only, and students are required to write out investigations using the 5-Step Scientific Process (Hypothesis, Materials, Procedure, Observations and Data, Conclusion). Students’ notebooks are graded using a Rubric. This counts for 40% of their overall grade. Science notebooks are due on Friday 10/24
|Math||Study Link 5.5||Study Link 5.6||Study Link 5.7||Study Link 5.8|
|Writing||Write an Evening Page in your Writer’s notebook||All Expository Essays are due today.|
|Social Studies||Social Studies worksheet|
|Reading||Read for a minimum of 35 minutes. Complete Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 35 minutes Complete Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 35 minutes Complete Reading Log||Read for a minimum of 35 minutes
Complete Reading Log
|Read for 45-60 minutes in your IR book Reading Log is due Monday|