Please remember that school starts at 8:45 am. Students are required to check in with me at 8:45 before we begin Morning Fitness. If students arrive after 8:45, or do not check in with me at our number on the blacktop, they will be marked tardy. Thank you!
Students will rotate to new classrooms in the afternoon for the next three weeks. Room 304 will be going to Mr. Cusick’s room. I will be receiving Room 301. Room 302 will be rotating to Mr. Kerney’s room.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
Reading Skill focus: Drawing Conclusions- Students will locate places to draw conclusions as they are reading nightly. When drawing conclusions, students should locate information from the text, as well as their own knowledge to determine a conclusion. This information should be written, shorthand, on Thinkmarks.
Students will work independently in Reader’s Workshop to complete the Daily 5 tasks. Students will meet in Guided Reading group this week to discuss the reading and share reading assignment tasks with the group. GR assignments are assignments that should be completed in class. GR Books should not be transported home.
HOLIDAY HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT:::::::::
Students will be required to complete a project in Reading over holiday break: Cereal Box Book report. The book that students report on should be a book that they have read and finished recently, NOT a book that they read months or years ago. I will send home an instruction packet this week, so please look for it. Also, you may print out a copy of the project from this website– just click on the Cereal Box Book Report tab above.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.5 With guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
This week, students will complete revision and editing for Postcard stories. Please see the rubric for this assignment under the Rubrics tab above.
ALL ESSAYS ARE DUE THURSDAY DECEMBER 20.
- CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.A.1 Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators.
This week, students will take the Unit 4 test on Monday. Then, we will begin Unit 5: Fractions, Decimals, Percents. We will begin with a review of Fractions and Mixed Numbers this week.
Science-(Room 301) “Microworlds”
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 4–5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
Investigation A: Students will be challenged to recall the details of a penny, observe a penny for one minute and draw it again, and finally use magnifiers to record details.
Investigation B: Students will practice making more detailed observations and record them in sketches and writing
Investigation C: Students will practice using different kinds of lenses to magnify objects.
*****Investigation A-C are due for grading on Thursday*****